Commissioners: Elections & Appointments
Commissioners are volunteers who represent various perspectives from our community. As an accrediting agency with a specialized area of programmatic review, COMTA has Commission positions dedicated to represent educators and practitioners who have direct experience in our scope of authority for accreditation of massage and esthetics schools and programs.
Regular Election of Commissioners
The normal procedure for selecting Commissioners includes:
- An invitation for nomination of candidates
- Review of potential candidates by the Commission to ensure eligiblity
- Presentation of a slate of candidates to the Members (accredited schools and programs) of COMTA
- Voting by Members (each main campus is allotted one vote per open position)
Elections are held in even numbered years and Commissioners are elected to staggered 4-year terms. The Commissioners whose terms expire in that year serve at the April meeting, then voting occurs during the summer and the newly elected Commissioners take their positions as of the October meeting. See the Bylaws for more details about Commissioner positions and the election process.
Appointment of Commissioners Mid-term
If a Commission position becomes open during the middle of that position's term, then the currently seated Commissioners will seek candidates to fill the role by appointment. The Chair of the Commission makes the appointment with the agreement of the majority of the current Commissioners. Candidates for appointment must be qualified to fill the open role as would have been required by regular election procedures.
Commissioner Election 2013
The Commission added two new positions in April 2012 for Esthetics representatives. The position of Esthetics Educator has been filled by Cristina DeBoer. The position of Esthetics Practitioner remains open and will be added to the 2014 election process.
Commissioner Election 2014
The following Commissioners' terms expire in 2014:
- CG Funk - Employer position - eligible for re-election
- Cliff Korn - Massage Practitioner position - the position is not eligible for re-election, and Cliff has retired from professional practice
- Wendy Weiner, Ph.D. - Public Member position - elgible for re-election
Additionally, the Commission will be looking to fill the open position for:
- Esthetics Practitioner
Nominations for Commissioner Candidates will be accepted September 1, 2013 through March 1, 2014. See the Call for Candidates description for details.
The application materials consist of:
- Letter of interest in becoming a Commissioner
- Resume, including experience related to the specific Commission position available
- Candidate Data form
- Disclosure of Interests and Affiliations
- Statement of Ethical Responsibility
- Confirmation of Public Member Eligibility
Materials may be submitted via email to email@example.com, by fax to (202) 895-1519.