With so many different massage schools and programs to choose from, how do you know which ones offer a quality education? After all, you want to make sure the institution you select is reputable and qualified to prepare you for a successful career in the field of massage. One way to determine educational excellence is to ask if the school or program is accredited by the Commission on Massage Therapy Accreditation (COMTA).
What is accreditation?
To earn COMTA accreditation, a program or institution voluntarily participates in a peer review process designed to identify massage programs and/or schools that achieve and maintain a level of quality, performance and integrity based on educational and professional standards. It completes an in-depth study of the quality of its program – its administrative practices, curriculum, student affairs, faculty competence and relationship with employers – and demonstrates financial stability.
What questions should I ask?
When looking for the massage school or program that’s right for you, don’t be afraid to ask plenty of questions.
- Is this school or program a really good one – is it COMTA accredited?
- How skilled are the faculty members?
- Is the school financially stable or will it go out of business halfway through my program?
- Does the school accommodate the needs of students?
- Will the program prepare me for certification and licensure?
- Does the school help graduates find a job?
To learn more about accreditation, please contact COMTA staff by phone at 202-895-1518 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.